Black Swan

Black Swan
"I was perfect"

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gagapalooza.

As many of you, or probably none of you, know this past weekend I attended the music festival known as Lollapalooza in Chicago, Illinois. . .and I had the best weekend of my life.

First of all the drive to Chicago is bullshit, Illinois is 97% corn and 3% Chicago. That's IT.

And my friend Emily and I were trying to get there before 9 pm on Thursday so we could watch Jersey Shore, and after rushing through terrible Missouri traffic we made it into our room at 8:50 ish and turns out our hotel, The Congress, didn't even have MTV. Fuck that.

Anyway, back to weekend.

FRIDAY:
Woke up at 7:50. Left the Hotel at 9:20 ish. Stood in line for a couple of minutes to get our three day wristbands. Then we sat in another line so they could "check" our bags. (P.S. Umm who ever's in charge of bag checking, sucks at their job :P) We made some krunkass friends known as our Chicago Babies, cus they were like 17, and we were there Oklahomies aka Mama and Papa Party. And then once they let us through we ran to get to our first stop. . .

-B.o.B., who was really good live, great way to start things off. He was very energetic and had everyone dancing and getting krunk. Best part was when he ended his set with a cover of MGMT's "Kids" which made everyone go batshit crazy.

After B.o.B. we chilled for a bit, I bought some shades and then we went to our second stop. . .

-The Big Pink, I was really impressed with them, super loud and super fun to dance to, krunk times. After them we rushed to get to. . .

-Semi-Precious Weapons, fucking badass. Honestly super rock n' roll all the way. Poured champagne on the audience, Gaga was there, it was fucking amazing.

-Hot Chip, (with a side of Matt & Kim, cus we could here them while waiting for Hot Chip/GaGa) they were a lot of fun. I really like them now, lots of fun krunk dance songs. Even though they all look kinds old and nerdy they have really good electronic-dance music.

MAIN EVENT: Lady GaGa, there's no way to describe this performance. I don't mean to diminish everyone's experience who went to any of her Monsterball shows because, although this was technically like the Monsterball at Lollapalooza it was so much more than that for her. The thing is she performed at Lolla 3 years ago on the tiny BMI stage and nobody understood her music/performance. And here she is 3 years later rocking out on the fucking MAINSTAGE at Lolla, it was beautiful. I laughed, cried, and danced my fucking ass off. There were over 80,000 people watching her and most of them were there just to see what the fuck she was gonna do, and let me tell you nobody left till it was over. SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

HIGHLIGHT OF FRIDAY: GaGa's stage dive at the end of Semi-Precious' set. I held her hand, and her leg, and her shoe :)


SATURDAY:
Didn't get up super early, probably at like 9ish split up with Emily as I went to go see. . .

-Dragonette, lots and lots of fun. Great way to get my energy up for the rest of the day. Danced and danced and danced. AND Martina pointed at me and the guy next to me who was tripping on shrooms.

I tried meeting my other half, but that didn't happen till post xx but I did find Grace aka one of the four.

-The xx, a lot better than I expected them to be, they had a huge audience, but most people weren't even paying attention. I liked 'em. Love their sound.

After xx Emily and I sat through Deer Tick's set, they weren't impressive, alright I guess. We were waiting for the real draw at the Sony Bloggie stage. . .

-Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, fucking perfect. THIS show is what music festivals are all about. Everyone dancing, singing, and just having a good time with what feels like a crowd of your best friends. Even if you don't know thousands of them. Absolutely perfect.

MAINT EVENT: Phoenix, hahahahahah. So I decided to umm be the tiniest bit inebriated during Phoenix's set and let me tell you, I had a goodass time. I danced everywhere it seemed like, I made friends with this super krunk girl. She was black and I always make friends with krunk black girls, that's a little racist but super true, we had a good time. Emily basically had to walk me back to the hotel :)

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: When Alexander (Edward Sharpe) had everyone sit down for the bands impromptu encore. Beautiful.

SUNDAY:
Don't remember when we left the hotel. Anyway,

-Neon Hitch, I had never heard of heard of her before but she played on the same stage that Lady GaGa and Ke$ha played on and look what happened to their careers. There were minor technical mishaps but she was super krunk and she stage dove and she did covers of "Cooler Than Me" and "Seven Nation Army". Love her.

After Neon Hitch Emily and I ate real food for once: Gyro and Burrito. Then we decided to get to the Budweiser stage early so we could get good spots for. . .

-MGMT, AHHHHHHHHHHH. So good. They were so into the performance which was a relief because they were starting to get a rep for not having stage presence. But at Lolla they killed it, completely. The sucky part were the tons of crowd surfers who kept interrupting my dancing/jamming out to krunk songs.

MAINT EVENT: Arcade Fire, they played on the same stage as MGMT so I decided to stay which almost killed me cus I almost passed out due to lack of water and just being tired but it was fucking worth it. Arcade Fire was mind-blowingly brilliant, so much energy from everyone. Honestly they are one of those bands that blows your mind when you see them live, so genius and amazing and all those great adjectives. Great way to end the weekend.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Arcade Fire's encore performance of "Wake Up". It changed my life, so exquisitely beautiful.

That's the end of it, unless you want to read about all the TNT Emily and I watched over the weekend. Or how my voice still sounds like a smoke a carton of cigs a day from all the hootin and hollerin.

See Ya,

P.S. Go to a music festival, preferably Lolla cus it's alot cleaner than the others, if you get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment